Civil Defence Structure
The present organisation of Civil Defence in Poland, except from the Additional Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, concerning protection of victims of international military conflicts, signed in Geneva on 8 June 1977 (Journal of Laws of 1992, No. 41, Item 175) and adopted by the Republic of Poland on 19 September 1991, is governed by the Act of 21 November 1967 on universal obligation to defend the Republic of Poland (uniform text, Journal of Laws of 2004, No. 241, Item 2416, as amended) and executive acts to the above act.
Pursuant to Art. 17 Par. 1 of the abovementioned Act, the main government administration authority in the field of civil defence is the Chief of the National Civil Defence (Szef Obrony Cywilnej Kraju). He is appointed by the Prime Minister on the request of the minister competent for internal affairs. The Chief of the National Civil Defence shall report to the minister competent for internal affairs.
From November 2005 the position of Chief of the National Civil Defence was held by the Undersecretary of State at MSWiA (Ministry of Interior and Administration). The poste become vacant in December 2007.
Chief Commandant of the State Fire Service, Mr Marek Kubiak, holds a position of Deputy Chief of the National Civil Defence (see the site of National Headquarters of the State Fire Service).
Tasks of the Chief of the National Civil Defence:
- preparation of drafts of rules and principles of civil defence operations;
- determination of general rules of performing civil defence tasks;
- coordination of specific projects and controlling performance of civil defence tasks by government and local government administration authorities;
- supervision over obligatory civil defence service.
The Chief of the National Civil Defence shall issue dispositions, guidelines, instructions and regulations within its competences.
Executive civil defence authorities are the starostes, commune heads, mayors and city presidents. Civil defence chiefs in relevant provinces, counties and communes shall manage and coordinate preparation and realisation of projects in the area of civil defence by state institutions, entrepreneurs and other organisational units and social organisations acting on their territory.
Based on the Regulation of the Government of 25 June 2002 on the precise mode of operation of the Chief of the National Civil Defence, civil defence chiefs in relevant provinces, counties and communes (Journal of Laws No. 96, Item 850), civil defence chiefs shall specify tasks and control their performance as well as coordinate and manage activities relating to preparation and realisation of civil defence projects:
- Chief of the National Civil Defence - as regards civil defence chiefs in provinces,
- civil defence chief of the province - as regards civil defence chiefs in counties,
- civil defence chief of the county - as regards civil defence chiefs in communes,
- civil defence chief of the commune - as regards civil defence chiefs in institutions, companies, social rescue organisations and other organisational units acting on the territory of the commune.